A NEW YEAR, A NEW OUTLOOK

I've been silent for about a week.

Perhaps you've been wondering why.

Well, it's a rather long, convoluted story, and one that probably begins about this time last year. Apparently, my thyroid decided to invite Ned and Ted (or Ned and Nellie, depending on which way you want to swing on the gender issue that is my former nodules) to take up residence, and with that came a year-long ordeal that ended in surgical removal, but that, up to that removal, involved long, long days, weeks, and months of dealing with me, an emotional disaster. While my levels always came back normal, my hormones must have been out of whack, because I was a mess most of the time, unable to handle the least amount of stress ... or strife ... or, let's face it, life in general.

My weight fluctuated wildly, and my energy levels were all over the board.

Monday, December 28th, I had a partial thyroid lobectomy. When my surgeon, Dr. Vallance was in there, he apparently discovered two nodules, and they were both promptly removed. Pathology came back on New Year's Eve, a perfect way to end the year and begin a new one ... they were benign!!!

For the most part, I've been navigating well. I will say that I would NOT have been able to recover as I have without my parents' help. They were godsends, and I love them both for all the time they sacrificed. I wasn't always pleasant to be around, I know! I know this, because, recently, I had a hazy memory of telling my mom in the hospital to stop hovering. Mom, I'm sorry. You were awesome, and I'm going on record, publicly, to tell you so!

Dad, you were such a help as well, and you, as usual, provided all kinds of comic relief! I miss you both already!

I have decided a few things. After having lost 5 pounds just on my mom's healthy cooking, I now know I must get off my duff and start eating/cooking more substantially healthy meals. Period. End of story.

I must, must, must, must take time for me. Period. End of story. I can't wear myself down to a frazzle. It just can't happen. That is when crazy things in my body start happening.

I have to get more exercise. It just has to happen. There isn't any room for excuses any more.

So ... I think I will be blogging about my exercising ... hopefully, as a way to make myself more accountable.

I will also, hopefully, be blogging about my new recipes and menus. So be looking for those.

In the midst of all of this, I am starting grad school. So, I'll be attempting to pinch the pennies until they cry and making it last as long as it can.

It's a new year and a new outlook! I'm excited about what 2010 has in store for me. I feel like new friendships will be formed ... existing friendships will be strengthened ... strained relationships will be mended ... and life will be sweeter, richer for it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm glad you are doing well, and your health is good!! I missed your blogs!!

NeeCee
Mom said…
Forgiveness granted! I actually don't even remember it, but then mothers get those comments all the time and we shrug them off.
Elly Gilbert said…
Love, love, love you Megan Murray!

Popular Posts