Making some changes

I don't know if it's because it's Monday or because I'm buying a house (and there's a lot of craziness that comes with that one!) or if it's because of the change of seasons or because, once again, I feel myself slipping away from this active, productive life that I envision for myself but which is not a reality ... at all. Whatever the reason, I woke up this morning saying to myself in the mirror, "YOU HAVE GOT TO MAKE A CHANGE."

I'm not just becoming a statistic, I AM the statistic, and it's gotta change!

I know, I know ... I say that all the time, and yet there's never any change. I never make exercise a habitual part of my routine.

I never make self-discovery through books and Bible study a habitual part of my routine.

I never create more time to "be out there and among people."

In other words, I pay lip service to it, but I never actually get around to committing. Does that make me a commitment phobe? Not sure, but while I'm searching for the answer to that question, I'm rapidly slipping into hermit mode. I'm just a fountain pen and a personal manifesto away from Uni bomber status, I fear.

And while I ponder that scary fate, another, more challenging question jumps up and grabs me: How come some people take to change in their lives so well, while others of us can't make it stick?

I love change! LOVE IT! I change my furniture around ALL the time. Used to never have the same hair-do twice ... change my make-up ... change my style ... I change everything! Variety is the spice of life, and I love spice life! So, why then can I not make positive changes that will affect my health and well-being? Why do I only choose to make cosmetic changes? Why am I afraid to make deep, life-changing changes?

Hmmm ... maybe because I'm actually afraid of the change? Maybe because I don't like change as well as I thought? Maybe because I'm afraid of failure?

Wait a second! Isn't this stuff for a therapist to discuss with me? Oh! That's right! I'm buying a house! I don't have money for a therapist. Silly me!

At any rate, changes must be made. So, while I'm packing more boxes and writing yet another paper for school, I'm going to make a list of the changes that need to be made ... an intentional list. A list that is completely do-able. And I'm going to start working on it. It's the only TO DO list that counts ...

Comments

Elly Gilbert said…
Umm...I resemble this blog post!
Anonymous said…
My family calls me little hermit because on weekends I'm slammed with college homework...no life what-so-ever....

Nee-Cee

Popular Posts