FIRST DAY ON THE JOB

___ Complete my first day as a middle school teacher.

Check.

___ Complete my first day as a middle school teacher without losing blonde hair or causing gray hair to grow.

Check.

___ Complete my first day as a middle school teacher with a smile on my face.

Check.

The first day is done ... under my belt ... baptism by fire. But the fire wasn't bad. Here's one thing I've learned from my first day as a middle school teacher:

Sixth graders are just third graders in big, smelly bodies.

So, we walked down to the gym where ALL the kids were converging (only about 200 or so kids altogether K-8. My very first thought as I walked down?

"My gosh! These kids are all taller than me!"

They introduced us. My principal told everyone I was from Michigan. This seemed to really grab the parents' attention. Everyone seemed to zero in on me ... I was imagining their thoughts:

"Hmmm ... they grow 'em big and hippy in Michigan."

Then I headed down to my room to wait for my homeroom. They were nervous, just like third graders are. We got lockers and combination locks (what a ROYAL PAIN, people!) taken care of, schedules were handed out (looks of terror were then the order of the day as they imagined what 6th grade math might be like ... or science ... or ... or ... ), and then I sent them off.

I began my planning time. Okay, teacher friends, please don't hate me or throw things at your computer, because honestly, there was a HUGE amount of guilt with this, but my planning time??? 72 minutes! Yep, one hour and 12 minutes!

Now, yes, I did felt guilty about it today, as I remembered days as an elementary school teacher of sprinting to the bathroom, doing the potty dance in front of the door while you waited for all the other poor schmucks just like you that had sprinted down there ahead of you, then sprinting to the copier, cursing it for jamming when you only had 12 minutes left and 10,589 copies to make, and then being snagged by no less than six people all needing something ASAP as you rush, winded to your classroom and get the evil stare from the specials teacher because you were late yet again. Oh yes, I felt guilty. Having said that, I think my guilt will last approximately one day. Then I will be feeling really good about those 72 minutes!

Special Reading Group is with 6 girls. They are sweet, and I can't wait to start tapping into their abilities. Reading is a challenge for them, but I know we can make some headway.

Then it was Block I Language Arts. These guys are going to test me. In fact, I had to put the smack down on two of them today, and one of them got my pretty little signature on their Cub Card. One more time, and she will be visiting D Hall (detention). Gotta grab 'em right away, or they'll stomp all over you.

Block II is my best block, I think. These kids are just really sharp! They will keep me on my toes.

Block III ... it's the end of the day. Need I say more? They will be a tough group to keep engaged, so I've got to use all the ammunition I have in my arsenal.

The little dears were off and running by 3:25 p.m., and my day was complete.

Oh, I got to meet one of my kids' parents, and boy was she awesome. We talked about doing a YOUNG AUTHORS contest inconjunction with the Courier Journal (Frankfort's newspaper). It means publishing for the kids that win, and some awesome publicity for Second Street School. Don't you know that I'm going to want to jump on that band wagon. I want to get my kids published!!!!!

A day in the my new life as a middle school language arts teacher. Yep, I think I'm really going to like this.

Comments

Anonymous said…
WOW!!! Sounds like a great first day! Enjoy it...you deserve to!

Popular Posts