FLEA MALLS AND SMALL WORLDS

When Ann first moved down here to Versailles, we spied a Flea Market, known down in these parts as a Flea Mall. The one here in Versailes is really cool ... really, really cool. Not everything is something you want, but we discovered more incredible deals than our wallets had money. And we found that the prices were drastically lower than the same items in Michigan. We were thrilled! I know Ann's spent quite a bit of change in there, and she has walked out with some pretty cool items for her home.

Now, I'm not sure about Ann or my parents, but in my mind, I automatically equated the term Flea Mall with cool and affordable. My first mistake.

We did some exploring today ... actually, a lot of exploring today, and while we were out purchasing stuff we probably shouldn't have (but darn it was fun!), we discovered that Georgetown (a cool little place just 15 to 20 minutes away from where my townhouse will be) had 3 flea markets. We could only find one, and we should have known when we saw a bingo hall attached that it wasn't going to be quite up to our expectations. However, as we piled out of my truck, our pervailing thought was, "you just never know."

Well, let me go on record as saying, we were right. You do indeed just never know, but we surely found out! If either one of us had been in the market for a Velvet Elvis painting or a ceramic fiber optic dragon lamp, then this was definitely our place! Neither one of us was in such a market ...

A cursory tour through the place was all we needed to decide that no two Flea Malls are alike, and that sometimes, you can judge a book by it's cover!

On the other hand, there were loads of antique shops in downtown Georgetown that looked like lots of fun. We were only able to go into three of them. In our last one (the place we did our budgetary damage), we struck up a conversation with one of the owners/booth operators. It came out in conversation that we were from Michigan.

"Where in Michigan?" She asked, with an obvious northern accent.

"Oh a little town in southern Michigan called Albion."

Her mouth dropped open, and after a moment where it seemed as though she were searching for air, she said, "You are kidding me!? I was raised in Albion!"

Come to find out, her father was my dad's biology teacher! She graduated from Albion College ... same as me! IO TRIUMPHE!

A person travels some 300 plus miles away, and runs into some one from their old hometown. It's a freakin' small world, I tell you!

Comments

Popular Posts