FOREGO

My friend Christy and I had made tentative plans to go to the movies last night after she got out of work. So, I called her to firm things up after I knew she would have left work. We were sorting it all out, and I said to her something like, "I'm still up for going to a 9:30 movie tonight, if you're still up for it. But if you're tired, we can forego it and just do it another night."

There was this pregnant pause, and then Christy started giggling.

"I'm giggling because you said the word forego."

"And I think I just showed my age by using that word, didn't I?"

Forego ... I'll tell you what I would like to forego, this year's birthday! I've had at least two mini-meltdowns regarding this latest "one year older" anniversary. I've decided that birthdays with a 5 at the end of them are no good. They cause me great panic.

Yep, folks, in exactly 45 days, I will be turning 35 years old. Good glory, I don't feel 35 years old! I still feel 25 years old, and please tell me I look 25 years old, because I still see a slightly uncertain 25 year old chick staring back at me in the mirror each day. No, those aren't crows feet I see either!

I suppose I should feel pretty good about it. My principal sat across from me a few weeks back, and if her jaw would have been closer to the table, I'm pretty sure we would have heard it hit hard when I announced that I would be celebrating my 35th birthday soon (please ask me why I'm telling people!?!?!?).

"I never would have guessed you were 35!" The shock was clearly registerng in her voice.

I should be thrilled with that reaction. I should be sitting here feeling pretty good about myself ... but 35 years old ...

35 years old!!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'd give almost anything to be 35!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Megan said…
I realize this, Papa, but it still doesn't make ME feel any better. :)

Popular Posts