GRANT & OPERATION PETTICOAT


You may or may not be aware of the fact that I LOVE old movies ... I'm obsessed with cinema, anyway, but old movies are a particular obsession of mine.

Today, I got the opportunity to view OPERATION PETTICOAT in the comfort of my very own living room. This movie stars one of my all-time favorites, Cary Grant (a collective sigh was heard by all).

Beyond the obvious (at least to me) sex appeal of Cary Grant, I love watching him on film (especially his comedies) because he had a certain way of just making you laugh without saying a word. He had a look he'd give someone ... a sarcastic side-way glance (and you all know how much I love sarcasm!!), and a sound he'd make that let the audience know he was annoyed. I LOVE THAT! And the way in which he delivered his lines ... well, brilliant! But that's just me.

So, I'm including some of my favorite quotes from the movie. It had me laughing from beginning to end!

[Also, starring: Tony Curtis as Lt. Nicholas Holden]

*******

Lt. Cmdr. Matt T. Sherman: It's like watching a strip tease. Don't ask how it's done, just enjoy what's coming off.

******
Lt. Cmdr Matt T. Serman: Sir, Sea Tiger was built to fight. She deserves a better epitaph than 'Commissioned 1940, sunk 1941, engagements none, shots fired none.' Now, you can't let it go that way. That's like a beautiful woman dying an old maid, if you know what I mean by old maid. Capt. J.B. Henderson: Did you ever sell used cars?
Capt. J.B. Henderson: I've got a hunch you missed your calling.

******

Lt. Cmdr. Matt T. Sherman: When a girl is under 21, she's protected by law. When she's over 65, she's protected by nature. Anywhere in between, she's fair game. Look out.

******

Lt. Cmdr. Matt T. Sherman: Subject, Toilet paper. One: on 6 June 1941, this vessel submitted a requisition for 150 rolls of toilet paper. On 16 December 1941 the requisition was returned with stamped notation, 'Cannot identify material required.' Two: the commanding officer of the USS SeaTiger cannot help but wonder what is being used at the Caviti Supply Depot as a substitute for this unidentifiable material once so well known to this command.

******

Lt. Cmdr. Matt T. Sherman: I don't want to bore you with the problems of command, Mr. Holden, because I doubt you'll ever have one. It's inconsistent with that philosophy of yours - every man for himself.
Lt. Nicholas Holden: Dog eat dog.
Lt. Cmdr. Matt T. Sherman: Exactly. The unfortunate thing about command, though, Mr. Holden, is that the responsibilities outweigh the privileges. Now if it was just myself I was concerned with, I'd tell you what to do with that list. But my responsibility is this boat, and to get her out of here I'd even make a pact with the devil.
Lt. Nicholas Holden: That's where I come in.

Comments

Popular Posts