THE QUEEN OF THRIFT

My mother is the reigning Queen of Thrift. As long as I live, she will be the reigning Queen of Thrift, and deservedly so! She and my dad put two girls through private school ... from elementary through college! They did this while trying to build a business, not to mention feeding and clothing the aforementioned girls. According my mother, she wouldn't have been able to do it had she not been SUPER THRIFTY GIRL (insert echoey voice here).

As a result of learning at the feet of THE QUEEN (and, at this point, my mother would say, "FINALLY! She recognizes my royalty!), I've taken on some of her thrifty mores.

For instance, mom subscribes to the theory that if one "wastes not," one never "wants not" (and, of course, my mother has now hit her hand to her head and said, "SHE JUST USED A DOUBLE NEGATIVE!!!). To that end, she would reuse sandwich baggies, plastic forks and spoons, butter tubs ... you name it, that woman can find some sort of creative use for it. My mother was environmentally sound before it was cool to be!

I knew I was in trouble when I found myself at my kitchen sink, one evening, washing out 5 Ziploc baggies. That's when I understood, for certain, the extent to which I'd been imprinted by THE QUEEN.

Last night was READIFEST. This is our traditional before-school session where parents come to meet the teachers, pick up school supplies, and to attend sessions regarding education and children. It's a great program, I have to admit, and to make it easy on parents, our Family and Youth Services office, provides pizza, pop, and cookies so folks can grab a meal while there.

READIFEST came and went, and I realized that I had three FULL, LARGE pizzas sitting in my room. At last count, I am only one person, and I wasn't exactly sure how one person would burn through three pizzas. However, because I knew that somewhere in Michigan, the Queen of Thrift's head might very well explode if I put those three pizzas in the garbage, I took them home, and individually wrapped every two pieces, readying them for the freezing process.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I have in my freezer, currently, three gallon-sized freezer bags FULL of pepperoni, sausage and cheese pizza. I suppose I am ready for a food draught or something ... but more importantly, SUPER THRIFTY GIRL, has just received a message regarding my savings on her secret decoder ring, and so, I suppose this gives me some extra points in the REUSE, RECYCLE, REDUCE realm.

Comments

Anonymous said…
FINALLY ! I am being acknowledged as having a brain and using it!! One of these days when the old budget is drawn tight and there is no more squeeze, you will be able to go home, fix a salad and have some pizza for dinner!! The same goes for those days when you haven't had a chance to shop and need something for lunch. Pizza and some fruit for a quick lunch at school! Moms do know somethign now and then.
And you are right! We did pay fro school anda lot more because I pinche dpennies and recycled.
Anonymous said…
Too funny! We lived the same way. Kind of scary when we catch ourselves doing things our moms did! Just goes to show that we are reincarnations of our mothers...not that that's a bad thing!

Popular Posts