BABY, IT'S COLD OUTSIDE

I froze my butt off at a football game this evening. I did it in the name of school spirit, and because my principal was assigning points to our staff team competition and helped to form a human tunnel out on the field before hand.

I've not frozen my butt off at a football game in YEARS!!! I'm from Michigan. Freezing one's butt off at a football game is as much a sport as the actual game itself. The freezing can begin anywhere from mid-August to December 1st and beyond, depending on the season and chances of championships.

I remember the year my alma mater, Albion College, went all the way to win the Division IV Championship. Seems to me, they played one of their games in a freakin' snow storm ... somewhere in Minnesota ...

At any rate, before the game, I decided to pull out the Michigan Big Guns. After all, it was 47 degrees out, and I'm a delicate flower.

I layered up, I tell you! I was ready to go!

Layer #1: Form-fitting cotton long-sleeved shirt, heavy tights
Layer #2: Jeans, wool socks, wool turtleneck sweater
Layer #3: Hiking boots, big fluffy made in the Andes Mountains wool sweater
Layer #4: Stocking cap, mittens, and big wool scarf mom made me
Layer #5: Chapstick and quilt to wrap up in

Can't move, but at least I will still relatively warm.

I got to the game and was summarily laughed at!

"You've become a weenie, Murray!"

"Hey, don't you hail from Michigan? Don't football games start getting cold in ummm ... September?"

Yes, yes, and yes! It's true! You can experience all four seasons in one football game. Trust me, I have.

Still, I will admit I've gotten a bit ... how shall I put it ... thin in the blood department since moving down to Kentucky. I can't help it.

Even with all those layers, my legs and toes still got cold, and it has taken me the rest of the night to warm back up.

Oh, and I lost my voice from the cold night air ... and possibly from yelling too much.

Comments

Popular Posts