AN HOUR OF MY LIFE GONE FOREVER

I just spent an hour watching a KENTUCKY AFIELD Hunting Special.

Okay, now, my friend Erin, who will eventually read this, is going to say, I guarantee it, "Why would you do this? What's wrong with you? That's an hour of your life you can't get back!"

Erin also just her foot down with her husband, Joe. Not another dead deer head on the living room wall. Three's the limit.

I would tend to agree with her. Seems to me, they are just crying out to be decorated in all sorts of fun ways with hats and sun glasses and scarves and other such accouterments ... but Joe says that by doing so, you are disrespecting the deer. Who knew!

But I digress ...

So, I sat mesmerized by this call-in hunting show.

It caught my attention because one of my neighbors was on the show as well as a friend of Erin and Joe's that I'd met in the past. However, what kept me watching was all the interesting information I gleaned.

For instance, did you know that there were such things as bearded hens (female turkeys with male/Tom beards)? I didn't!

Also, were you aware that there are horned does walking around our Earth (female deer with antlers)? This fact escaped me somehow!

I also learned that the deer population here in Kentucky can suffer from a disease called EHD, commonly known as Blue Tongue. It makes their internal organs hemorrhage (yuck), and their tongues swell and hang out of their mouths. This was fascinating to me ... slightly morbid, but nonetheless, fascinating. Our deer population has been hit particularly hard this year, based on the number of dead deer bodies along water sources ... interesting indeed.

AND, there are white-spotted deer -- slightly rare, but not too rare ... I had no idea!

You can hunt bobcat too, but there is a limit of 5 and only 3 can be taken with a gun. Amazing! I had no idea.

Being the good daughter that I am, I called my dad to share my new-found knowledge.

Apparently, he was already aware. I guess that stands to reason considering he's spent the better part of my life (and then some) pouring over any sort of wildlife what-not-and-so-forth he could get his hands on.

I suppose, all this information will find it's way into my TRIVIAL KNOWLEDGE ABOUT TRIVIAL JUNK file in my brain, only to be pulled out at cocktail parties ... when I run out things to say ...

I'm a hit during those 7 second lulls in conversation ...

"Say," I say, sipping my white wine, "have you heard about the biting midges that pass EHD disease to the Kentucky deer population?"

Comments

Anonymous said…
I would have to side with Joe & say another deer head hanging in the living room would look real nice. there should NOT be a limit on the number of nice mounts on the wall !
Anonymous said…
And that would be why I agree with Erin ! One hanging is enough to catch dust and what ever else is flying in the air. That is why we have NO dead animal heads in our living room and only one (2?) in the basement/rec room! and those are antlers only!

Popular Posts