THE KISS OF DEATH

I'm trying not to take this personally, but I'm beginning to think that my karma is the KISS OF DEATH.

Case in point ...

I was laid off every time you turned around when I taught in Michigan. In case you aren't sure about the calculations, that is pretty much ALL THE TIME.

Last year, I took a job down here in Kentucky ... in a district where they haven't seen lay offs in they couldn't even tell me how long (their words, not mine). Three weeks after the year started, the powers that be started talking about pink slips. Amazing!

Apparently, along with the financial ruin that I brought to my new job, I also managed to drag done here Michigan's infamous weather patterns, where as a person could very well experience spring, summer, fall, and winter within a span of a couple of hours. I know this, because we had UNSEASONABLY frigid temperatures this past winter. I am sure this is the reason, too, that a drought came to stay for the summer months, essentially wiping out half of most farmers' crops, and thus, their pay. Again with the financial ruin!!

Tonight, after sending my after-school group out the door, I was piddling around in my room, when my friend, and fellow teacher, Jody walked in.

"Just so you know, there is smoke coming from the ceiling of the cafeteria."

Jody's husband is a fire fighter. I figured she had this one under control.

"Ummm, okay." I reply. "Is the fire department coming?"
I can see the firehouse from my classroom window. Furthermore, I CAN BLOODY HEAR THEM every time they scream out of the barn, not that I'm complaining or anything, but it's at least 6 times on average ... A DAY.

No such activity was occurring at this precise moment.

"Well, Rich [our principal] is looking into it right now."

"Okay," I say, still with much hesitation in my voice. I mean, he's a great guy and all, but last time I checked, I didn't see any turnout gear hanging in his office.

"I just thought I'd tell you, in case you were planning on staying at all."

Okay, so I've lived through one fire at a school. One was enough. I threw what I could into my bag and made a fast exit.

"So, is the fire department going to be called to look at this ... ever?" I asked Jody as we exited the building.

"I think they might," Jody said, "eventually."

"Would this be before the school burns to the ground? Or after?"

"Rich called Eddie [our maintenance man]. Eddie's going to check it out."

"Oh," I say looking to see if I see smoke rolling off of the roof of our building.

Seriously, people. Is my karma turning around and biting me in the butt or what?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Now you have to give a followup!!
Megan said…
No burning buildings ... but some funky karma, wouldn't you agree?
:-)
Anonymous said…
yeah, don't come back to live at home ok?
Anonymous said…
Too funny! The entry and the comments!

Popular Posts