A HALLELUJAH SORT OF MOMENT

I have been having a pity party for myself the last two weeks.

I've been frustrated with my job. Things have not been going according to plan. I am under an immense amount of pressure from all angles and corners, and I know my every move is being monitored by my team under a microscope, for what reason, I am not sure.

I am being made to prove myself under unreasonable circumstances, and my kids aren't cooperating.

There have been moments where I've felt like throwing myself off of the Singing Bridge in a giant heap of books and assessments and portfolios.

Then I faced having to put together what I felt was a stupid presentation for my Ketucky Reading Project meeting earlier today (yes, you read that correctly ... a Saturday morning meeting ... boo hiss!).

I opened my assigned reading begrudingly and ....

... and I had a HALLELUJAH, MEET JESUS sort of moment.

Come to find out, this particular reading was exactly what I needed ... the shot in the arm necessary to help me recognize that I need to get back to what I know is important ... teaching to the individual needs of my students. The short passage I wasn't at all willing to read, validated who I was as a teacher and a person ... it helped me recognize, once again, that what I know to do in my classroom is best practices ... is appropriate ... will make my students succeed!

I am doing it right!

So, my new plan of action is to ignore the nay-sayers that keep telling me to do it their way. My students will succeed if I follow the philosophical fiber of my being and what I know is best practices.

So there!

W

Comments

Elly Gilbert said…
I can say this because I don't work there anymore and I don't care who reads it and thinks I'm a b****: You rock the face off SSS! You are a fabulous teacher. And somehow, you managed to learn to be a good teacher without ever gracing the halls of a KSU classroom building. Go figure!
Megan said…
Thank you, Elly! I needed that reinforcement. :) You know how it goes ...

Popular Posts