I PAID HOW MUCH??

I recently read a magazine article that said a person can save a huge wad in their grocery bill by purchasing JUST from the sale ad.

Okay, I'm all about saving some cold hard cash to pay bills or save for traveling. So, I thought to myself, "Self, let's try it. What have you got to lose?"

I headed off to Kroger East last night, sales ad in hand ... ready to rake in the dough I was going to be saving. I spent hours in there, pouring over every sale tag in the place. I was determined to save money!

Then, I hit the register ... and the price kept going up and up ... $52.85 ... $67.32 ... $76.77 ... $83.12 ... $90.81 ... $117.85 ... a cold sweat broke out on my forehead, and I think I become death-bed pale. The computer calculated my savings by using my Kroger Valued Customer card, and that took the total down, yes, I said down, to $107 and some change.

"Is that it, ma'am?" The clerk said ... she being the one who had reminded everyone within a 20-mile radius that she couldn't wait to leave for the evening.

"Good glory!" I croaked.

"Something wrong?" She practically growled at me.

"No, it's just that I've never spent that much money grocery shopping at one time."

"Huh," she muttered completely unnerved by the fact that I was taking the time to write a check. Heaven forbid!

"Need any help with this ma'am," the bag boy smiled cheerfully.

"No, unless you want to pick me up from my poor spell." The bag boy laughed.

"She's never spent this much at the grocery store before," the clerk yawned, mocking me.

"Yeah, do I get a prize for this or something?"

"Wouldn't that be nice," the bag boy laughed. Apparently, I'm a hit with the grocery sackers of the world, but not the apathetic grocery clerks.

Anyway, I spent my short ride back to my place fretting about the amount I'd spent. That was until 4:30 this morning ...

I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep. So, what's a girl to do?

Balance her check book!

As I started looking at the amount of money I spend, on average, running to THREE different stores buying groceries that are on sale, it adds up to just about what I spent last night at one store!

Huh!?

I remember, when I first started out making my own way in the world, I could buy two-weeks worth of groceries and not spend more than $50 or $60!

Okay, yes, just starting on my own, occurred roughly 11 or 12 years ago. So, I guess, to answer my own question, inflation happened ... a bear market happened ... the sub-prime happened ...

Oh well, one person ... $100 every two weeks. Does that seem extravagant?

Comments

Anonymous said…
not at all! We spend double that and there is 2 and 1/2 of us. (Jack doesn't count for a whole yet, he doesn't eat enough)
Anonymous said…
HEY HOWS THE BOOK COMING????
Anonymous said…
Only $107? You got off cheap girl....I spend that in a week sometimes....It's hell to be a carnivorous lover.
~2-E

Popular Posts