DOING A LITTLE DAMAGE CONTROL

On Friday, I took my kids on a little field trip. We walked over to our public library to pick out chapter books for our cereal box book reports we're going to be doing in a few weeks. The plan was to head over right after lunch. So, just before lunch, I did the "behavior rules and consequences" lecture that they always hear me roll out for field trips.

The end of the lecture went something like this: "You know, guys. If we can really behave, and Mr. Harley gets a good report about how awesome our behavior was, he'd be soooo proud, if he were wearing a button down shirt today, those buttons would fly right off!"

"EEEEEWWWWW!" The kids all squealed.

"I know, I know. No one wants to see that, but I'm just saying, it could happen."

I sent them on to lunch, ate my lunch, and at the appointed time, I went down to collect them from lunch.

Our principal was down there, on lunch duty, and I thought he might get a kick out of the story. So, I told him. When I'd finished, he started cracking up, which I thought was a little odd, because the story wasn't THAT funny.

"Well, let me tell you what Abigail* said. She came up to me and said, Mr. Harley. Miss Murray told that class that she wanted you to wear a button-down shirt so all your buttons could pop off. Then she walked off."

I gasped in horror, and he laughed and proceeded to say ...

"I thought to myself, 'hmmm, springtime is really getting to Miss Murray, and DANG! I'm the man!"

"NOOOOO!! That's not what I said!"

He just walked away laughing at me ....


*Names have been changed to protect those that tell stories like they write ... missing LOTS of important details!!!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Woo, too funny!!



NeeCee

Popular Posts