A PERFECTLY LOVELY EVENING

I spent my evening last night, strolling through downtown Frankfort on their Annual Candlelight Tour. There were brass bands playing Christmas Carols and Barbershop Quartets wishing you a Merry Little Christmas ... and spitting rain just for that wintery feel. It was wonderful!

The overall feeling I walked away with is that my new hometown has some VERY, VERY nice people living here.

I lost count the number of people that stopped to talk with me, and each time, they would say, "Welcome to Kentucky, and welcome to Frankfort!" ... As if Gov. Fletcher had deputized each and everyone of those folks Deputies of Goodwill! It was a very pleasant, homey, Christmas feel.

I wandered through the streets and took photos with my cell phone of the brightly decorated buildings. I sampled tasty fare and just soaked up all the Christmas cheer I possibly could.

My concern, as I moved toward the holidays, was how I would react to not being near family and friends. Up to this point, I've not really experienced any home-sickness, but I was concerned that the approaching holidays would cause a torrent of emotional baggage to come washing in ... on the contrary! If anything, this place is making me feel so much more at home! It's almost a sense of Christmas nostalgia I'd been searching for ... if that makes much sense! :)

Between the homemade doughnuts at LIBERTY HALL, the bean soup at COMPLETELY KENTUCKY, and all the stops in-between, it was a great evening. I did miss going into the new wine bar, but I saw one of my students who said it was "so much fun!" Apparently, they had some St. Julian's selections, including non-alcoholic versions, and she couldn't wait to tell me that she had sampled some of Michigan's fare, way down here in Kentucky! That will be a stop to make in the very near future, for sure!

So, thank you, Kentucky, and thank you, Frankfort, for making me feel so at home. Happy Holidays!

Comments

Anonymous said…
This should be a letter to the editor! I am sure they would appreciate knowing this.
Sounds fun. Wish I could have been there...

Popular Posts