RANDOM THOUGHT SUNDAY

IT'S DEER-MATING SEASON FOLKS!!! BEWARE!!!!

These were the words of the news announcer one day this past week. I immediately started giggling when the anchor sent "it to our intrepid roving reporter on the streets" to go over what exactly deer mating season was and why, exactly, we, the public, needed to beware.

See, in Michigan, you're pretty much born with the knowledge that deer-mating season, commonly referred to as rutting, begins sometime between October and January (we also are pretty much born with the knowledge that deer hunting season, ie., gun season, starts on November 15th). This means that the deer are more out of their minds than normal and will pull random and frequent Kamikaze numbers on you, the driver. So be on the look out.

As a driver-in-training, you are instructed on how to look for deer ahead of you, and at fairs and other community events, sherrif's departments and state police posts set up booths dedicated to this very thing. It's a big business issue in Michigan, Crazy Deer Capitol of the World.

That is why I found it so laughable that the news stations were spending precious news footage on fancy, sophisticated charts and graphs on car-deer accidents. This is knowledge of which I (and anyone else that has driven in Michigan for any period of time) have intimate knowledge. If you can live an entire lifetime without hitting one deer, well, let's just say you are one lucky son of a gun, and I would suggest you need to start playing the Lotto with some degree of regularity.

Today, I went the East-West Connector to the west side of town ... on my way to do some errands. I saw no less than three deer carcasses on that little stretch of roadway. This leads me to believe that, perhaps the newscaster was right, and we are smack dab in the middle of those fiesty little suckers' mating season!

My kingdom for one of those fancy dancy news graphics!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Playing the lotto hasn't helped me and I am one of those lucky ones who have never hit a deer, but just watch now that I have said ....
Anonymous said…
Let me tell you I'm knocking on wood every time I come home from Marshall these days on Michigan Ave...the deer have been wandering aimlessly in the middle of the road for a couple weeks. The girls and I would rather not end a session of dance class with an up close and personal meeting with one!

Popular Posts