SATURDAY EXCURSION

I had a day out and about by myself.

First, I stopped by the Frankfort Convention Center to check out the Kentucky Book Fair. I've admitted on here in the past that I'm a bibliophile, a book feind! So, stepping into the convention center and being surrounded by so many books was a very heady experience! To be surrounded by so many authors and their books made me realize that I need to get back at it and write, write, write. Who knows, I may be there one day!

I did do well by only picking up one book and a poster. The book, The Memory Keeper's Daughter (http://us.penguingroup.com/static/rguides/us/memory_keeper.html), was written by Kim Edwards, and I got to see the author in person! She even signed and dated the book! I'm so excited to get started reading. It's one I will be added to my grand lirbary (the large room that I plan to have in my palatial country estate in Tuscany ... right!).

I also purchased a 25th anniversary commemorative poster from the event. You may check it out at the www.kybookfair.com website. Very cool and libraryish!

For the three hours I was there, I was surrounded by a ton of librarians and teachers and lovers of books. It was a fabulous crowd to be pushing about you while you waited in line to pay!!! I loved every moment of it, and I can't wait to come back next year.

From there, I traveled to Shelbyville for their Christmas Open House. It was a fun time, with lots of antique shops to peruse. I did wander into a place that I had no business being in (http://www.wakefieldscearce.com/). This was evident almost immediately when I was greeted at the door by a man in a pin stripe suit, complete with red carnation in his lapel! I walked into a grand room filled with European antiques. I really couldn't even afford to breathe the air in there, but I decdied to pretend I did, since I was dressed in an outfit that might help me pass as mildly well-healed. Thank goodness I had the good sense to do something with my hair today rather than my normal Saturday Nasty Hair Knot.

They had Christmas punch and fruit cake (I hate fruit cake) being served by ladies armed with silver tea tongs and sterling silver punch bowl ladles. The string duet really made you feel like it was Christmas. I didn't mind that we have over a month until Christmas.

After hob-knobbing with the rich and not so famous, I walked across the road to main street, and I began my snooping through antique stores that are more my speed. The Ruby Rooster is a place I HIGHLY recommend wandering though. So many cool things to see! They had some yummy Christmas delictables that I sampled ... pound cake and a gingerbread cookie.

I've decided that I must make a return to Shelbyville soon. As for me, I'm heading down stairs to a hot cup of coffee and a good book!

Comments

Anonymous said…
That sounds like so much fun! Even the hoity-toity antique place.
Megan said…
I'm so taking you and Ann there when you're down for Thanksgiving!!!

Popular Posts