TEACHERS GONE WILD -- DRUNK BROWNIES

Carrie and I painted the town red on Saturday. Okay, well, maybe a nice, deep pink hue.

We started out at the Kentucky History Center, attempting to broaden our horizons with historical tidbits from my new fair state. However, we ended in the hall of governors, where we irreverently tried to categorize each governor based on their portraits. The game went something like this:

Carrie, pointing to one portrait: "He's gay."
Me, pointing to another: "He's a cigar-smokin', card-carryin' womanizer."
Carrie: "He was a stinker in fourth grade."
Me: "He was handsome."
Carrie: "Wimp."
Me: "Cross-dresser."
Carrie: "He loved his wife."
And so on ... it's a fun game. You should try it!

We then headed over to the Old State Capitol, where I proceeded to insult our tour guide by insinuating she wasn't old enough to drive, let alone lead a tour through the capitol. Oops! The best part for me, however, was when Carrie's cell phone rang during out 12-year old tour guide's presentation. When she thought she was hitting mute, Carrie actually answered the phone, and her friend ended up shouting through the phone, "HELLO!? HELLO!?" Did you know that a cell phone can really reverberate through the senate chambers? Classic!

A leisurely lunch was had and then we headed to the new state capitol which was either closed OR I just didn't have enough strength to push the doors open. I was bummed that Carrie wouldn't see how beautiful it was on the inside, but I felt the bourbon balls at Woodford Reserve would be just the salve for my disappointment.

We got there as the last tour was ending, but as Carrie said, "we were able to do the important stuff ... taste the bourbon and eat the bourbon balls!"

Can I have an AMEN?

Now, it must be said that bourbon is ... well, it's not good. In fact, we've decided that unless it is somehow mixed with chocolate, it's really not very good at all. I am pretty sure I had a "MEET JESUS MOMENT" as the fire water burned my nostrils and continued to burn a hole through several layers of my digestive tract, all the way down to my big toes! From there, I felt the unmitigated desire to jump on top of a table and begin wailing the first verse and chorus to "I CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW, THE RAIN IS GONE." That quickly faded away to a warm, fuzzy feeling that lasted through me buzzing through a varied amount of curvy, paved mule trails along rural Woodford and Franklin Counties.

Carrie and I really were not aware of the strength of the bourbon in the Bourbon-Soaked Praline Pecans that she picked up at the Woodford Reserve gift shop. We feel fairly certain that this is because our taste buds were drunk.

We did make one very good decision, and that was that we would use those pecans on the homemade brownies I made. Later that evening, we topped fresh-out-of-the-oven brownies with ice cream, chocolate syrup, and more than a handful each of those Bourbon-Soaked Praline Pecans. Talk about a work of art! I am a culinary genius!

It was only after we were both half-way through our brownies that we realized these were not your everyday pecans. These babies were S.O.A.K.E.D. This was brought to our attention by the fact that we were giggling at random things not necessarily funny in normal human existence. Yes, I suppose a big shot of bourbon, two bourbon balls, and more bourbon-soaked pecans than one person could count might actually cause a person to be, well, shall we say ... tipsy ...



Comments

Anonymous said…
Tom couldn't believe we ate them...he said "These are strong!"
It was tooo much fun!!
Megan said…
Hey! When chocolate is involved, I'm not above ANYTHING!
I had such a good time, too! We can't let that much time go in between all the fun. :)
Anonymous said…
Wow...I want some brownies!!!
Glad to hear you both had a great time.
~Denise

Popular Posts