WATER FOR ELEPHANTS

Last night, I finished the book WATER FOR ELEPHANTS by Sarah Gruen. Actually, more accurately, I finished the book this morning ... about 1:15 a.m.

It is a magnificent book in its simplicity of story and in its beautiful prose. I was entranced by the story of a traveling circus struggling to stay afloat during the Depression Era ... I was fascinated and horrified by the class struggles within the microcosm of the circus world ... I was completely invested in Jacob Jankowski's, the main character in Gruen's story, life as a loner in a foreign world, right smack dab in America.

Within this simple story, is a multifaceted plot about mental illness, social class mores, racism, animal rights, and undeniable, unconditional love.

Pick this book up today! I loved it!

I'm giving it an A.


Comments

Anonymous said…
That was the book I wanted to do for our last book club, but another was chosen I couldn't even force myself to pick up. I loved it, too! I learned so much and loved the love story in it.

Christy
Anonymous said…
Ooh. Along the lines of books... I highly recommend The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo. It is a children's book about love and being loved. I wept when it was over.

Christy
A Davis said…
Yes, yes, yes!! I loved that book! i totally give it an A too!

Popular Posts