BLOWING AWAY

If you happen to see a little, mini flag in the shape of a snowman that happens to be hugging a Christmas tree with a gold star on top, would you mind grabbing it for me? It blew off my little yard flag thingy sometime in the night when the 50 mile an hour winds started whipping around Frankfort. Near as I can tell, it's got to be somewhere near New Jersey by this point and time.

I honestly don't know why I was blubbering about missing home the other night. It feels like Michigan tonight ... felt like it the WHOLE live-long day! I woke up, not only to straight line winds, but to 68 degrees. My head told me what the weathermen had been yapping about for the past week ... BIG, NASTY FRONT WAS COMING THROUGH ... FAST! Tornado watches were out in full force as were the humid, rainy conditions. By 8 a.m., the temperatures had dropped 20 degrees, and it was nasty, biting cold! When I left school this afternoon, it was in the 20s! Were it not for the murky Kentucky River and the limestone "cliffs," I could have sworn I was in the Great Lakes State!

The big joke in Michigan is that you can go to a football game and see all four seasons in one game! Hey, you laugh, but it's true. I've experienced it first hand.

I did happen to see a few wimpy flakes of snow ... I guess that's what they call snowing down here. I'm still waiting for the snowy squalls that send everyone to the store for five loaves of bread. Yes, it's true folks. I've had this confirmed by many a Kentucky resident. At the first hint of snow, the grocery stores are mobbed with people buying as much milk, bread, and eggs as they can afford.

Now, here's a thought ... I've been through a few blizzards in my time, and at no time was there ever a need for more than one loaf of bread. I do remember that the last blizzard I muddled through, my shovel broke (figures) and I had to call my dad to come in his truck with 4 wheel drive and rescue me so I could go out and buy a new one. I also remember being so bored that driving through town to watch the snow truck plow snow seemed like the excitement of the century, but I don't recall feeling like I needed to run out and stock my refrigerator with 8 gallons of milk. That never entered my mind. If I found the need for thirst-quenching and I ran out of liquid substances in the house, I knew I could always boil snow. Seems a plausible solution to a relatively non-problem, if you ask me.

That is why a threat of dusting has me a bit perplexed. What would people do if there were actually inches of snow on the ground? Would we have the Millenium preparations part two?

Comments

Popular Posts