CHRISTOPHER PAUL CURTIS



I had the absolute privilege of going to Lexington, last night, to listen to their One Book, One Lexington author, Christopher Paul Curtis.

For those of you that don't know, he wrote the book THE WATSON'S GO TO BIRMINGHAM, 1963. This is a WONDERFUL book, full of witty and poignant writing. I fell in love with the characters, and I found myself laughing right along with them and crying when they cried.

I assigned this book to my 6th graders back in our first semester, and they all loved it! That is a feat in and of itself, if you know the 6th grade mind at all!

Curtis is a gifted, talented writer, who happens to be from my home state, Michigan! I found myself tearing up as I listened to him last night because I realized, despite our differences (African-American man versus white female), within our very being, beats a writer's heart. I was inspired by his passion for the written word, and I was shamed into spending more time with my one, true passion ... WRITING!

I was honored to have him sign a few books last night, and in the book for myself, he wrote:
To Megan: I am a real fan of teachers!

He also signed one of our classroom copies. My kids are going to be thrilled!

What a wonderful way to spend an evening ... and, by the way, if you EVER get the chance to visit the Lexington Central Library, you MUST. It is one of the most beautiful libraries I have ever been in. This bibliophile was in awe!

www.onebookonelexington.org
http://www.lexpublib.org/central/ (view the photos on this site ... AMAZING!)

Comments

Popular Posts