HEFF THE HERO

*Name has been changed to protect the not-so innocent.

Monday was the start of our fourth and final quarter, and I had the kids hit the ground running.

We began our persuasive writing unit this past week with a journey through a webquest. I have given the kids two major projects. They are to choose one person that they think would be a good HERO OF THE CENTURY. Then they are to research that person, write a persuasive essay convincing me that their choice would be a good one for HERO OF THE CENTURY. Finally, they will create a PowerPoint presentation to show the rest of the class.

The other day, we were choosing our heroes. I told the kids that they were not to choose a celebrity or a sports figure. I wanted them to find someone they didn't necessarily know much about ... I explained that I was stretching them ... challenging them to work a little bit harder. If they absolutely, positively couldn't find anyone else but a celebrity or a sports figure, they would have to do A LOT of research and then argue their point to me ... convincing me that the individual has done much to further mankind.

Allen* changed his mind three different times! Each time I came to his computer, he had a new name he was searching and 18 different reasons why he decided to change. After the third time, I said to Allen, "listen, you have about 10 minutes before third block is done. You had better have a name to me by 3:15 p.m., or I will choose someone for you. Do you understand?"

"Yes, ma'am," was the reply.

I busied myself with a few more student questions, and then made a bee-line to Allen's computer.

To my astonishment, I witnessed Allen type HUGH HEFFNER into the serach field of the KY Virtual Library site.

"Absolutely not," I roared.

"But, he's done a lot to further mankind!"

"No! Go back to the drawing board."

"But ..."

"Keep searching!"

Knowing Allen, he had as many reasons as Carter has liver pills for why Heff has furthered mankind, and I wasn't sure how I would ever explain that to my principal!

Comments

Popular Posts