GRAVEL SWITCH, KENTUCKY

Today, I stepped back in time.

No, I didn't use a time machine.

There was no hypnosis involved.

I merely drove Little Red, with parental units in tow, due south, with twists and turns heading north, and then east, and then west, and then southwest, and then east again ... and, well, if you've driven the back roads of Kentucky, you know what I'm talking about ...

Our destination was a little general store ... Penn's Store (http://www.pennsstore.com/). It's been around since the 1850s, and it is the "oldest country store being run continuously by the same family," according to their website. I believe it! It was, by far, THE coolest thing I've ever seen!

I stepped through the doors, and, quite literally, stepped into a simpler time ... into the days of yesteryear, to wax poetic.

In the dimly lit space, I could almost hear the voices of the generations that have paved the way for myself and my modern counterparts echo against the rafters of the little general store. "If these walls could talk" took on a meaning far greater than anything my imagination could conjure, as I listened to the store owner, Jeanne Penn Lane, tell about the memories she had of the store and the years her mother had it. As a writer, I could have stayed there all afternoon and listened to her talk as the characters in my head started pushing and shoving inside my mind's eye.

I couldn't have created a better setting if I'd spent an entire lifetime trying to come up with adequate descriptors! This is a DEFINITE must-see!






Comments

A Davis said…
did you use that there outhouse?
Megan said…
No ... I don't do outhouses. However, my father does do them, and, in fact, left his mark on that one! He and Chet Atkins, who is the very first person to use the "public restroom" at Penn's Store!

Popular Posts