JUST GET 'ER DONE

As you may know, if you've read this blog for any length of time, I sometimes take a JUST GET 'ER DONE approach to cooking. I'm a fairly decent cook (someone who has eaten what I've made, please speak up for me here!), but I don't always have the patience for it. For instance, I really feel there is a large market for a COOKING WITH A BLOW TORCH show. Seriously! Why isn't the Food Network all over this one?

I came home from school today with that weird feeling that maybe ... perhaps ... not sure, but possibly, I was coming down with something. My throat was ever so sore. Now, I am an allergy sufferer. So, often times, the "coming down with something" is just allergies kicking me in my butt. Either way, I was exhausted, so I thought I would take a little nap.

An hour or so later, and it's dinner time. I'd planned for sloppy joes, and so I set the giant, glob of frozen beef to "brown." Now, in order to brown said giant, glob of frozen beef, I figured, why not the HIGH setting? Right? I mean, it will brown much faster ... this is ALWAYS my line of thinking.

Beyond allergies, I am pretty sure that I suffer from some form or fashion of ADD or ADHD. I get easily distracted. This is made ten times worse when my brain is already a teeny, tiny bit ... umm ... how shall I say it, FOGGY!

Something, not sure what, distracted me. I was standing in the middle of my living room, staring off into space, when it occurred to me that entire lower portion of my townhouse was filling up with a thick, gray cloud of smoke.

And here is where it gets bad, folks. I think to myself, "What the heck is on fire!?"

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I forgot that I had meat "browning" on high on my stove.

Here's another market that I think Rachel Ray and Company are missing the boat on ...

Turn-out gear and oxygen masks for the modern female cook ...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow, I thought I was alone in my ability to completely forget I am cooking something! Personally, were it not for this house full of men (husband and 3 male children) I would just sustain life on cereal and m&m's
I would much rather blog than eat or cook!

Popular Posts