THINGS I'VE HEARD RECENTLY THAT HAVE SENT ME BACK

So, I love music. LOVE IT. And I think I would be considered an eclectic music listener. I like a lot of different stuff. It's true what they say, music is powerful, and it can take you back to times where memory is so vivid, you'd swear you were reliving it. This week, I've heard a number of songs that have caused the memories to roll ...

1. Deff Leppard's POUR SOME SUGAR ON ME ... Okay, in the world of lyrics, let's just say there really isn't a lot that can be said other than DIRTY, FOUL, MORALLY REPREHENSIBLE. However, I can't help myself -- I LOVE, just LOVE jamming to this BIG HAIR BAND'S song. I remember scream-singing this on the bus on our way to a state band competition. Nothing like a bus-load of teens rocking out with their favorite big hair band to get you in the mood for Beethoven.

For better or worse, I can quote almost word for word each lyric. Yet, I can't seem to remember my password to my email at work ... go figure! At any rate, I am sure it was relatively entertaining to witness me buzzing down a well-traveled by-way here, windows in LITTLE RED all down, and me screeching POUR SOME SUGAR ON ME!!!!!!

2. Marky Mark's GOOD VIBRATIONS ... this was college. I know this, because one of the girls in my "college clique" got married the summer between our sophomore and junior years, and we were all in her wedding. That song played heavily in every single late-night dance session we had leading up to the wedding as well as AT THE WEDDING RECEPTION. Now, I know my limitations, and dancing really is one of my limitations. Sadly, at wedding receptions, I lose all inhibitions and manage to go out anyway ... and this is without the higher power of libation! I just purely lose my mind! So, you can imagine the picture of me in a wine-colored Hi-Lo lace overlay number, jamming (and I use that term loosely) to GOOD VIBRATIONS during a warm June evening in 1992. When I become rich and famous, those pictures might find their way on to YOU TUBE ...

3. Meatloaf's I WON'T DO THAT ... This was when I was 24 or 25, and I was dating my very own OFFICER AND GENTLEMEN. In fact, I met this guy at another college girlfriend's (shout out to Denise!!!! Can it really be 12 years this October!?!?!?!?) wedding! He was an usher -- I was the maid of honor. He saved me from the groom's drunk cousin who thought that EVERY, SINGLE song the DJ played that night, including the chicken dance, needed to be danced in the theme of dirty dancing, with an emphasis on dirty. For whatever reason, whenever I think of my time with the Naval Lt., I WON'T DO THAT is a song I remember. This memory is fraught with deep, subconscious undertones, but I won't go there ...

Anyway, I'm told he's happily married and a daddy ... I'm very happy for him.

4. Tim McGraw's INDIAN OUTLAW ... in the whole grand scheme of Tim McGraw, INDIAN OUTLAW is not a top song in my song book. However, I went with Denise and her then, fiance, Sam, and two other friends to Tim McGraw's SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION concert at the Kellogg Arena. The Kentucky Headhunters opened for him, which did nothing for me, but I do remember hearing Tim McGraw singing the INDIAN OUTLAW song, and it is where Denise and Sam chose to ask me to be Denise's maid of honor. Awwww ... it's a precious memory, even when you mix in the fact that Tim was wearing a black mesh t-shirt that was just a bit over the top for me. I will forgive him, though, because well, he's Tim McGraw!

5. Carrie Underwood's DON'T FORGET TO REMEMBER ME ... This is a bittersweet memory. I'd heard this song all Summer 2006, but the memory that stands out to me is the morning I packed up Little Red and headed off for MEGAN'S BIG ADVENTURE, starting my new life in Kentucky. I'd just said a horribly painful good-bye to my parents, crawled into my truck, turned on the radio, and I swear to you, as I was pulling out of the driveway, waving to my parents one last time, this song started playing! How weird is that?? It's a song that still has a special spot in my heart.

6. Les Miserables ON MY OWN ... I had the privilege of seeing this show live, and by far, the scene when Eponine sings this was one of the most moving scenes for me! I was practically in tears before the actress was done. I have felt this girl's pain more than once in my life. However, this song took on particularly deep meaning for me a few years ago, when I met someone during a period of my life I like to call THE DARK PERIOD. Doesn't it always happen this way? You meet the nightmares during those times when you can't manage to find your head due to it's being so far up your rear-end! Enter "my stupid mistake." I chose this song to sing while taking voice lessons that I happened to take during THE DARK PERIOD, and I still pull it out to practice vocals. Every time I sing it, I'm reminded of how long it's taken me to get over being burned so badly ...

7. RASCAL FLATTS remake of LIFE IS A HIGHWAY ... I can't remember when I first heard it, but I'm guessing it was high school, since somewhere in the messes I call closets, I have a single tape (yes, I said TAPE) of the original song -- and according to the TIME LINE OF MAN, tapes fell into the MEGAN'S HIGH SCHOOL YEARS portion. I kept that tape in the car with me, and every single time I went on a road trip, I played that song to christen the trip. Denise, didn't I play it for you when we went on our MEGAN AND DENISE'S BIG "UP NORTH" ADVENTURE? Anyway, Rascal Flatts did an awesome job with it, and you can totally imagine me jamming to it in my truck, I'm sure.

Comments

Anonymous said…
If there was ever a question about why we are friends, it was confirmed. I too love all those songs for my very own reasons..maybe I should blog. =) Except for the Les Miserables. Just never got into the musicals,that is all you Murray.
I think I remember you jamming at my wedding reception too, hmm =)
Good times!
~Shanny

Popular Posts