WELCOME SUMMER!

In Michigan, Memorial Day Weekend is the official start of summer. People go to nurseries around the state to start planting their flower beds and vegetable gardens, and many, many more head northward for camping and a generally great time in the north woods!

The thing I have missed the most about moving away from Michigan is being away from Up North. I spent every summer for 30 years Up North ... it's a part of who I am. When I think about it, I get extremely nostalgic and wonder if I will ever make it back up there. That thought makes me sad ...

But being that it's Memorial Day, and being that I am feeling a bit nostalgic for Michigan's Up North, I decided to get on the Mackinac Bridge Web Cam to see how the Straits of Mackinac are fairing today.

Take a look for yourself. The Straits are socked in!

http://www.mackinacbridge.org/bridge-cam-20/
http://www.hornsbar.com/webcamlarge.htm

Ahh! I remember a good fog you needed a knife to cut through there on the Straits. Nothing is more unnerving than not being able to see a thing, but hearing the forlorn moan of a distant buoy warning ships of impending doom. Talk about dramatic ...

But that is what the Straits are ... they are nothing if not dramatic! That's part of it's charm ... it's melodramatic nature. That is what I miss about it most!

Never the less, welcome summer. Welcome! I hope it will be another wild and woolly time!

Comments

Anonymous said…
You are wishing a WHAT for us??!!! Our winter was bad enough! I want a nice summer
Mom
Anonymous said…
It was only thiry degrees in the U.P. yesterday. Yesterday we were 82 today 48, and we have a frost advisory tonight. I might as well leave buckets on all my plants until July 4. Ha! We just have to laugh, we are from Michigan!?!?!
NeeCee
Megan said…
Mom -- "Wild and wooly" meant "wild and crazy" as in, another wild and crazy or wild and wooly summer. Not as in wear wool!

Denise -- It was warm this morning at 5 a.m. when I got up ... 67! Whew! A bit humid ... let the games begin!

Popular Posts