A Word About Road Salt

Road salt does not give you super human powers. 

I am not sure everyone here in Kentucky understands that concept.

Please allow me to repeat:  ROAD SALT DOES NOT GIVE YOU SUPER HUMAN POWERS.

It would seem that for most people that live in this area, once the salt hits the pavement, you figure you can go as fast as you want.

This is where that theory is flawed, cuz, well, the whole chemical reaction thing; ya know?  You see, salt merely melts snow and ice, it doesn't make it go away.  Nor does it make your tires stick more closely to the roadway.  And the freezing point, which is 32 degrees Fahrenheit, by the way.  Even with salt on the roads, wet stuff can still freeze. 

I am always amazed when I see someone zoom past me, going well over what the road conditions would allow, and then, in an equally stupid move, slam on their brakes when they realize, "Oops!  This road is slippery."

What is wrong with going slow?  When bad weather is imminent, you need to PLAN AHEAD.  That means, you need to leave your house a little earlier than originally planned.  Oh heavens!  And then you need to be prepared to go a little more slowly than you would normally go.

I know.  I know.  I am such a buzz-kill in the day of 0 to 80 in 4.5 seconds, but seriously.  Isn't it easier getting to work or home in one piece than say, taking a spin, quite literally, on a particularly crappy piece of roadway, risking life and limb?

And while we're on the topic of pushes and pulls and gravitational what-not, who, might I ask, thought it would be an exceptionally good idea to slam on one's brakes on icy, slick roads??  This really makes no sense.  No logical sense.

Northerners have been following these rules, for the most part (we have our share of dumbos too) for the better part of, well, the invention of the car??? 

Perhaps no one has shared these rules with you.  Allow me to serve as a public service announcement then. 



Comments

Popular Posts