ATTEMPTING THE IMPOSSIBLE

So, I've made a decision. I am going to try to make a conscious effort to eat as many natural foods as I possibly can and to attempt to avoid processed foods. The more I hear about our American diets ... the more I struggle with my weight and diet ... the more I think about Ned and Ted and how they got on my thyroid to begin with ... the more I witness children coming into my classroom horribly unhealthy ... the more I realize that I need to get back to the basics.

Yesterday, I went to the grocery store intent on buying items that were as natural as I could get them, with an emphasis on fruits, veggies, and multi-grains. I paid attention to calories and fat and all that good stuff, and I did my best to make sure I would looking at items that were as unprocessed as I could get them, within reason, mind you.

And, I've gotta say, I think I did pretty well. Yes. I spent more money that I normally do, but I walked out with essentially whole foods ... very little of it was processed. In fact, the only things that I got that were processed were my milk, my cereal (mini-wheats, Mom ... yes, I bought mini-wheats), and some dried fruit. I'd say that's pretty good!

I'm beginning to test foods out that I would have turned my nose up at earlier, because I just realize how much I need to embrace being as natural as possible in the food department.

This is causing me to rethink my way of doing "cooking," in that, I'm realizing that good cooking does require some time and effort (are you reading this, Mom? =) ...), and that in order to eat some thing good, getting it in 10 minutes or less a la Mickey D's is no longer going to cut it.

All of this to say that when you read in books and magazine articles that changing your diet is a mind change as well as a lifestyle change is really, really true. You have to be willing to change your relationship to food and your mindset with food in order to truly change the way you look at food.

So, I'm attempting the impossible, and maybe, just maybe, it's not as impossible as I thought ...

Comments

Anonymous said…
It's very hard to buy the natural foods. Yesterday, I went to buy Smuckers jelly, and read the label. HIGH FRUTOSE CORN SYRUP!!! I thought smuckers was all natural!! Then wheat bread is a joke. Unless, the first ingredient is Stone ground wheat flour then it is fake!!! UGH!!

Nee-Cee
Nicole said…
Megan! I'm proud of you. If you have any good healthy recipes let me know!

Popular Posts