BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S

Last night, I had the PLEASURE of seeing one of my all-time favorite old movies on the big screen ... BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S. This particular showing was a fundraiser for a movie house here in Frankfort put on by the SAVE THE GRAND, INC. folks. It was wonderful! For all the times that I 've viewed the movie, I've never ever seen it on the big screen. What a treat!

One of my favorite quotes: "You know what's wrong with you, Miss Whoever-you-are? You're chicken, you've got no guts. You're afraid to stick out your chin and say, 'Okay, life's a fact, people do fall in love, people do belong to each other, because that's the only chance anybody's got for real happiness.' You call yourself a free spirit, a 'wild thing,' and you're terrified somebody's gonna stick you in a cage. Well baby, you're already in that cage. You built it yourself. And it's not bounded in the west by Tulip, Texas, or in the east by Somali-land. It's wherever you go. Because no matter where you run, you just end up running into yourself. [Takes out the ring and throws it in Holly's lap] Here. I've been carrying this thing around for months. I don't want it anymore."

What a terrific scene! Here are two people, so totally screwed up by the choices they've fallen into, and they're trying to get out of the holes they've dug for themselves ... they're scared and uncertain ... Whew! Can I ever relate at times!

I also love BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S for the fashion (yes, I can be a girlie girl). The dresses Holly Golightly wore in the movie were AMAZING with a capital A! As I normally do when I'm watching the movie, I found myself saying, "WOW! I want to wear a jaunty hat like that one!"

It's always fun, when watching the movie, to try to decide which dress I love the most. I can never decide, but the beautiful pink number Holly was wearing when she found out young Fred had died, was top of my list this time.

I suppose why I like the movie so much is because in it all is this theme of belonging ... finding a place to call home, and I think that is just human nature ... to want to belong. This movie is full of symbolism, and anyone that knows me, knows I love to pick apart a book or movie and examine the symbolism!

Finally, the music in this movie is genius! Pure genius! Moon River? Who doesn't like that song?

What a great way to spend a Saturday night!?!?!

Comments

Popular Posts