PASS ME THE KLEENEX PLEASE

What a pleasant surprise! While channel surfing earlier, I discovered STEEL MAGNOLIAS was playing on Lifetime.

I just love STEEL MAGNOLIAS. I thought Olympia Dukakis and Shirley MacLaine were hysterical. Their characters, Clairee Belcher and Ouiser Boudreaux, delivered some of the best one liners ever! I mean, who couldn't just love Ouiser Boudreaux to pieces? The woman is tough as nails and as irreverent as the day is long. I LOVE HER!

But what really gets me about that movie ... what always gets me ... is the cemetery scene. That, in my humble opinion, was just brilliant! Sally Field's performance in that scene was just brilliant. Every single time I watch it, that scene grabs me, shakes me, and won't let me go until it's over. I end up in tears, as I did tonight. If you can watch a show over and over again, and it can still make you laugh and cry in all the right spots, then, I believe, you have yourself a solidly, good movie.

One of my favorite lines from the movie is when Shelby announces to her mother that she is having a baby. M'Lynn is less than pleased with this news as she knows Shelby's pregnancy could send her already poor health into a downward spiral. After the two of them argue over what can't really be changed, Shelby tells her mother: "I would rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special. " What a powerful line ...

Comments

Popular Posts