HAPPY HALLOWEEN ... BAH-FRIGGIN'-HUM-BUG!

I think it is common knowledge that Halloween is not my favorite holiday. It has nothing to do with some sort of deep-seated religious issues, either. It's merely that since I've become a grown-up, I detest the amazingly sickening gluttonous candy fest that occurs each year.

Don't get me wrong! When I was a child, I LOVED going around our neighborhood and gathering as much of the sugar booty as possible. It was always better going with Dad, too, as he let us go to more houses. And while she feigned shock, secretly, I think my mom was okay with that. There a came a point where I believe she enjoyed the idea of relaxing at home without her kids in her hair for a glorious 45 minutes to an hour. Isn't this every parent's dream?

The other thing was that we had creative costumes. We talked about it for weeks leading up to Halloween ... gathered the materials ... helped mom pick out the patterns. Laura Ingalls, Little Bo Peep, Johnny Appleseed, a nurse ... these were all costumes I've donned in years past. My mother would have rather gone out and bought bags of candy to then feed to us by the spoon fulls than send us out with a pillow case and no costume. That was just not what we did.

I think this is why I resent the holiday today. I, very much, dislike those middle school and high school students that come to my door, in jeans and t-shirt, and shove a pillow case in my face. Then, when I don't toss into their grubby loot-holder the appropriate candy selection, they complain as if they were seated at the finest restuarant.

The other thing I abhor are the parents of infants, i.e., toothless beings without the means of digesting strained carrots let alone a giant 3 Muskateers Bar. PAHLEEEZE! Are you planning on saving all those sweets for your child's first birthday? UMMMM ... NO!!!! Go home. You've been a child ... you've done the Halloween thing. Leave me the candy for the little guys.

So, this year, as I've done in years past, I turned off the front light. I sat in the dark, and I waited for the cursed holiday to be done.

I do miss handing out candy to those "special kids." My friends little ones and my cousins ... so Cassie, Katie, Korey, Tamry and Kasey, I'm sending you my hugs!!! I know, they aren't as good as candy, but they're what will handle a trip across two states and through the internet wires.

Happy Friggin Halloween!

Comments

A Davis said…
Awwww...we would have come to your door looking all cute and stuff (but I know what you mean about people getting candy for their babies...Micah did not collect, no sir...like we have enough with just Brennan anyway)

Popular Posts