BIBLIOPHILE

I'M A BIBLIOPHILE!!! Finally, I know what I have ... the disease I carry with me!

Okay, wait! Get your mind out of the gutter! It's not dirty. According to the Webster's New World Dictionary (3rd College Edition), a bibliophile is "a person who loves or admires books, especially, rare ones ... or ... a collector of books."

It hit me like a cleansing rain last night, as I sat among a group of women discussing our current book club read SNOW FLOWER AND THE SECRET FAN (a depressing read, but easy enough to read through). We sat in Amy's sun room for almost three hours discussing books (and then movies, I think a natural inclination for a bibliophile) and then finally, a digression into the seedy world of celebrity gossip. We could have all sat there for another three hours, I think, and come full circle, discussing the seedy world of celebrity gossip, a regression to movies and finally landing on books once again.

Amy started the group by asking what everyone was reading. Not one of us there named just one book! We all had at least two books going as well as countless magazines, etc. Yes, we are all bibliophiles, I do believe.

And you know what, I'm completely okay with my sickness ... my disease. This is definitely a cross I'm willing to bear!

Comments

Popular Posts