47 MORE TO GO

NATURE GIRL
by Carl Hiaasen

I started reading this book last year for a book club selection, but I never finished it. And to be honest with you, I should have finished it. It was a good book ... not in the sense that it was riveting or anything. It's just that Hiaasen has a wicked sense of humor ... a warped, wicked sense of humor, to be exact, and I found myself laughing quite a bit reading the book this time around.

I'm guessing that my lack of enjoyment the first go-around had more to do with the havoc Ned and Ted Nodules were having on my emotional state than the actual writing in this novel.

This is a departure from his juvenile and youth literature, and I will tell you that this book wasn't at all what I thought it would be. I was certain there'd be loads of suspense, and a bit of Mickey Spillane to it. Not at all, and that was a pleasant surprise for me. The characters in this book were bumbling throughout the plot in many "only-my-life" sorts of episodes, which was what was so entertaining for me.

I have a friend whose husband is from this area in Florida that Hiaasen writes about in his books, and he swears people are just like the characters in them. I'm not sure whether to be entertained or seriously frightened.

Anyway, I am going to be picking up and reading, very soon, Strip Tease, another of Hiaasen's adult reads, and I hope that it isn't what it seems as well. I like to be pleasantly surprised as well as entertained.

Overall, an enjoyable read, folks. Take it with you on Spring Break, especially if you are going to Florida!

Comments

Popular Posts