BABY STEPS

I am trying to take baby steps ... Rome wasn't built in a day, you know.

My friend Jody and I have decided to keep food journals, and each morning, we're going to trade journals and see how well (or in my case, how badly) we did the day before. We're also trying to get exercise in there every single day as well.

Jody is the mother of three children, ages 4, 3, and 5 months old. Her food journal reads like a diary in healthy eating: hummus, veggies, fruits, nuts. And she exercises daily and does laundry and makes crafts with the kids and is a busy full-time teacher of Art at our school and is a wife to crazy, busy husband, and ... and ... and ...

My food journal reads like a person with clogged arteries that will need to be lifted out of her window via crane when she reaches the 500 lb mark: Carbs, carbs, and more carbs. And I haven't exercised once, but I have gotten my laundry done and picked up my house and made home-cooked meals every night this week.

Whatever! I was really discouraged about the whole thing. How all I've got is a cat to raise, and she doesn't listen to a word I say ... in fact, she "gives me the paw" on an hourly basis when I try to discipline and the power struggle is soooo obvious and ... well ... Jody is like Super Woman.

Then I said to myself, "Self! No more negative self-talk. You need to take baby steps. Rome wasn't built in a day!"

So, my goal this week is to add more veggies and fruits to my diet. So far, I'm doing much better on this goal between yesterday and today (packed my lunch full of veggies and fruit today!). So, I feel fairly confident I can add another goal fairly soon ... something like, drink more water ... get more sleep .... exercise three times a week ... or over-throw a small country. I mean, it's all do-able if I just take baby steps.

Comments

Anonymous said…
No more negative self talk! Baby steps is right!

Popular Posts