WITH APOLOGIES TO MY DIGESTIVE SYSTEM

My friend Tabby asked me if I wanted to join her on a drive to Louisville today. She had to pick up an INCREDIBLE deal on a Total Gym that she bought off of Craigslist. I mean, INCREDIBLE!

But that isn't the point of my post -- the point of my post is that we decided before hand, that we would grab lunch somewhere on the way back from the pick-up.

"I was thinking about Claudia Sanders ..." Tabby says, as we headed back on the highway.

"OOOOOOHHHHHH!!!!" I squealed, because that is what every dignified thirty-eight year old woman does, short of the excited hand-clapping that followed.

"Everyone keeps telling me that I need to go! I say let's go for it!!"

Tabby, who is now visibly excited herself says, "Oh good! I was hoping you'd go for it. I've been wanting to go since my birthday back in November."

And so to Claudia Sanders we go!

Tabby mentioned the Sunday Buffet, which is what everyone usually gets there. But I kept thinking, man! That's a lot of food. So, when I got there, and walked into the LARGEST dining room, ever, I looked on the menu, thought I found something I'd like, and was all ready to make my choice until our server came up and informed us that it would just be easier and faster to get our meals if we just ordered the buffet.

Nice marketing ploy, Claudia, since the buffet is $6.00 more, but I suppose she saw us coming ... half-starved and ravenous.

The server nailed the final nail in the coffin by informing me that the buffet had 8 vegetables on the table, and the menu only offered 6. Sign me up! I can load up on veggies, and feel better about eating the buffet.

It's at this point that I must inform my readers that apparently, Old Mrs. Sanders didn't believe it was truly a vegetable unless you stuffed it, breaded it, creamed it, or doused it in some sort of butter. I ate two helpings of stewed tomatoes ... if only they didn't have a butt-load of sugar and weren't loaded with bread cubes. Oh well. And the spinach! Oh my goodness, did I ever eat the spinach. Only, it was creamed ... with what I can only imagine was my cholesterol limit for the entire week ... maybe even the year!

The green beans? Amazingly full of real bacon and all its trimmings.

Mashed potatoes? Buttery ... oh boy, were they buttery!

Baked beans? Spicy!

Baked chicken, sans skin, thank you very much? Baked to perfection!

Barbecue chicken? Too spicy for me, yet still very yummy.

If you ever get a chance to go, check out Claudia Sanders Dinner House. Very good, but make sure you wear elastic pants. Yikes!

As a side note, if you hit Claudia Sanders following the Kentucky Derby, word on the street is that you might run into some celebrities, as apparently, many of them are fond of the "debauchery for your mouth" as well. William Shatner, among others, is a fan, I'm told.

Comments

Micah said…
Man, I can only imagine how amazing it must be to eat lard-covered vegetables in the company of William Shatner!
Big Red, you might said…
It sounds to me like maybe you should ask for some time on Tabs new gym, after a meal like that you might need it . :-)

Popular Posts