DEBRIS PILES

So, I went out to take some more photos. For whatever reason, I can't load the ones I took on my mini digital onto Blogger. Bummer! I had some so-so shots of the Elkhorn Creek rising to the point of almost hitting the back side of Buck Run Baptist Church. In actuality, I think during the hour and a half storm between Friday evening and Saturday morning (sometime in the middle of the night), it did hit the side of the building. There were water marks on it, I noticed today.

Anyway, today, I went back after work, to take more shots. This time, I took my "real" camera. It's not a high-powered, fancy-dancy camera like my dad's, but I think it will show some of the aftermath.

I was bummed, because a lot of the water had receeded, but the debris piles were OUTRAGEOUS!!! I've never seen anything like it! Literally, WHOLE TREES were lying in giant piles as high as my waste. I didn't venture a very close measurement of this because I was a tad bit concerned about rattlers. I've got a photo of one huge debris pile that managed to grab what appears to be a small refrigerator or a dryer or something. It's a dinged up, banged up, muddy mess, currently sitting on the top of a giant pile of trees, et al, in some one's yard. I wonder, does insurance cover the cost of removing flood debris from your yard?

I've gotten a few questions about the fact that we had school today, and the Kentucky River hadn't yet crested. Why would we have school? Well, we've got a flood wall between the school and the river. So, as they say on Broadway, the show must go on.

The Kentucky River was running at a pretty good pace, and the amount crap that zipped by was unbelievable. Again, whole trees, floatillas of tree branches and the sort, car tires, random scraps of metal, a car bumper, crazy stuff!

I wished you guys could have seen it ... it was mind-boggling. Our school sits at the bottom of a hill, and we, literally, had large pieces of rock that flowed into our parking lot over the weekend. The business across the street from us had 8 inches of water at one point on Saturday. AMAZING!!!!

All my teaching buddies thought I was a bit daft for being so amazed by it all, but really, I've never seen anything like this at all. Of course, if it were rushing into my house, I wouldn't be as enamored.

There were many people in Lexington that had MAJOR flood damage. Two lives were lost in Lexington -- 8 total in the state of Kentucky. We had quite a few people here in Frankfort with a lot of damage. One of our teachers lost just about everything in her basement family room. It seemed like a lot of the damage here in Frankfort was in the Holmes Street area, a very low income area. That seems so unfortunate.

Anyway, life is getting back to normal, and I just can't begin to describe for you all that I saw this weekend. This is a wild land!

Comments

Popular Posts