WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?

I'm sitting here at my desk at school on a sunny, outrageously gorgeous Sunday afternoon while boat after boat after boat floats by my window on the Kentucky River. What is wrong with this picture?

I will tell you what's wrong with this picture. It's called an overworked, underpaid, teacher that is up to her blood-shot eyeballs in work and is desperate to make some sort of dent before the little dears come back to me on Tuesday.

I drove to Lexington to church today (http://www.questcommunity.com/) and was immediately struck by how much like fall it looked this morning. Allow me to paint the picture ... heavy, thick, gray clouds hung like a giant blanket over the rolling bluegrass hills. The wind blew a chilly breeze, and one could see the puff of air being blown from horses' noses. Brrr ... it even smelled like fall in the air.

Now, I love fall, and I tend to get nostalgic during this particular time of year, for some inexplicable reason. I don't know if it's the colors or the smells or the decorations ... whatever it is, it just feels good to be around what you know. That won't be the case this year, and as I got closer to Lexington, I couldn't help but feel a bit excited about the changes.

I know what fall in Michigan is like. There's the change in sound first, then the change in smell. Finally, you start seeing the changes ... soybeans turning yellow, corn being harvested (field corn stalks slowly dying in fields for what seems like forever), apple orchards opening up, pumpkins cropping up all over the place, and, finally, the rain of multi-colored leaves.

I'm getting excited to see what fall in Kentucky looks like ... :)

Comments

Popular Posts