FESTIVALS, FOOD, FUN, AND FIREMEN

Ann and I tried to eat our way across central Kentucky today, and we made a pretty good dent!

Today was Midway, KY's, Fall Festival (3o-something annual). It was a great day, and I got sunburned in the process!

We ate at a little cafe called Quirk that we like (http://www.kygallery.com/quirk/index.htm). I had a wonderful cup of tomato basil soup and one of the best chicken salad sandwiches on whole wheat that I've ever eaten. Then, because neither one of us had ever eaten a funnel cake (I hadn't a clue what one was and was teased about that fact at work this past week), we shared a funnel cake. Let me go on record as saying it's just a dough full of grease that I'm currently still "eating" 8 hours later!

The festival was a good time, but it was crowded ... and it was hard to get into the booths to see anything.

Things I tried that I'd never had before: 1) sorghum on a biscuit ... very good ... I'm also currently wearing it on my right boob, 8 hours later! 2) the aforementioned funnel cake.

Things I'm learning to love: SWEET TEA! I must have consumed a gallon of that stuff. I'll be up til midnight!

From Midway, we decided to make our way to Millville and the Hillbilly Daze. Yeah ... let's just say we didn't feel like stopping. We drove through hill and dale **LITERALLY**, and somehow managed to come out right in front of Ann's complex. That was providencial since we both had to go to the bathroom so badly, we were looking for safe pull-offs and large, leafy trees (safe pull-offs on these back roads are few and VERY far between).

After the much needed potty break, and because we are crazy about antiques, we thought it might be fun to hit Irish Acres in Nonesuch, KY. When someone tells you something is in the middle of no where, they are describing Nonesuch, KY -- the quintessential MIDDLE OF NO WHERE! This place is an interesting place to tour.

On the way to Nonesuch, we spied a winery. So, after our tour of Irish Acres, we pulled into Wild Vines Winery, tasted their wares, and left with a bottle each of Blackberry Wine. I am telling you all, this stuff is AWESOME!!!! As I write this, Ann is at home eating vanilla ice cream with a bit of her Blackberry Wine drizzled over it. I found their Hard Cider to be very good as well. Overall, it reminded me of the places we've frequented back home or near Ripley, NY. The man serving us is my new best friend as he carded both Ann and I!

Finally, as we made it back into town, Ann suggested we have dinner. A new place just opened up in Versailles called Melissa's Cottage Cafe, simply southern. Well, that should have been our first clue that both of us would receive our carb quota for the next 6 months! No sooner had we gotten seated, than they slapped down in front of us a tin bucket full of garlic buttered rolls!

The southern style meatloaf was FABULOUS (nothing is better than southern-style green beans and real mashed potatoes), and Ann's chicken pot pie was out of this world. We rolled out of there and to my truck.

Yep, we sure did make a dent in trying to eat through central Kentucky!
********************************
I went to the Franklin County Farmers Market, which was wonderful! On my way home, in the busiest intersection in town (and the one I have to cross to get to my place) there stood at each of the four sides, beautiful fire fighters collecting money from drivers for their annual toy drive. Well, come on folks! I will not deny one of those beautiful boys the opportunity to stick their boot into my window. So, I donated.

Wouldn't you know it! My fire fighter was married! GRRRR!

Comments

Yes, you have had a funnel cake before and so have I ... it's called an elephant ear. I told you!!
Anonymous said…
That was my thought too,
funnel cake = elephant ear! Sorry, but yes she told you right!

So did you turn and try one of the 3 remaining intersections of fire fighters in search of a single one?!?!?
Anonymous said…
thought you were going to leave "men in uniform" alone? nothing but trouble you said!
Megan said…
MEN IN UNIFORM ARE NOTHING BUT TROUBLE! (I have to keep reminding myself of that ... especially when checking out the tight little butt of the one holding the boot this morning!!!!!!
A Davis said…
funnel cake=elephant ear=gut rot.. as ann calls it. :) but they rock when you're eating them. man, full day... i need to come visit. of course, with two boys in tow, maybe we would've gotten in about half of all that in one day.

Popular Posts