SEASON OF THE MIGRAINE ... FEELING FALL IN THE AIR ... AND OTHER DRIED OUT THOUGHTS

I'm so tired.

I can't even think straight.

I was awakened at 4 a.m. to the sound of distant thunder, but, like a nun in a whore house (it's at this point my mother turns to my father and says, "this is all your fault, you realize. I tried to raise ladies ..."), it didn't stick around long. In fact, I don't believe the thunder actually rested over our fair city ... nor did the rain, for that matter. So all of that for me to be exhausted and cranky? Hmmm .... I'm not digging that, not one little bit.

But there seems to be a chill in the air, which, I must admit, makes me feel sort of sad, and at recess, when I wasn't telling someone to STOP THROWING THAT BALL NEAR THE WALL ... HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU THAT ... I'M NOT RUNNING OUT INTO TRAFFIC TO GET IT ONE MORE TIME ... I also realized that the trees are starting to have "that look" about them ... the FALL LOOK. I really like fall, don't get me wrong. It reminds me of bonfires and fall leaf pick ups (which, as an adult, I HATED with a passion, by the way) and warm, woolly sweaters, and apples and hot cider and homemade doughnuts and all things Michigan.

However, where did my summer go?

I don't feel like I did anything fun ... didn't travel anywhere exotic, unless you count the paved path we took to get to an out of the way church somewhere in Madison County, where I'm relatively sure, if stopped, the good neighbors would have worded their greeting this way, "Ya'll aren't from 'round hyar, are ya? Might better get on about your business."

If you count that as exotic, then I've been one place exotic this summer.

Anyway, I try not to get caught up in the minutiae of stuff, but, lately, I feel like I've not done a good job of shaking off the stuff.

I've said it before, and I'll state it again. I want to get to the end of this life and say, "I lived it to the fullest and enjoyed every last bit of it."

I don't want to ever dig complacency.

Perhaps it's my exhaustion talking ... or the fact that I have enough grading to last me until the wee hours of the night ... or maybe the recent "our standardized scores have just hit the air waves and how many more hours can we all work to make them go up" lecture ... whatever it is, I sometimes feel like I'm missing something ... a lot of something.

Any way, I don't want to miss an opportunity to stop and smell the roses ... or, in this particular case, their moldy, dried-up remanents.


Comments

Popular Posts